Saturday, August 13, 2011

Village show meeting

Service with a smile. [buying with a vacant stare!]

Of course I went.

Actually, now I re-read my title of this post I realise it should have said "Village Shop meeting". Village show does have a better ring to it though. I can just imagine John A as Mother goose, Dorothy as Cinderella, The Crofter as the wicked witch and so on.

"He's behind you".

He wasn't of course, he was sat in front of me at the table chairing the show. The teas were laid out along with a range of home-made cakes and, and this takes me back a bit, Bourbon biscuits - no doubt bought in the village shop. [When I lived in Engerland I worked at the Manchester Velodrome and during one session training up new coaches I came across a Bourbon  snatcher. Eh?]. There was also lemon flavoured sponge cake and chocolate crunch things - made by Irene in Tolsta from Mars Bars don't you know - again no doubt bought from the Village Shoppe.

To be honest, there's an awful lot in our Village Shoppe despite it's diminutive size. My, you can even get Tolsta mugs and postcards [and if you wan't one, let me know and I'll buy one for you - if you send me the money! I'll even address the postcard and post it to you from the shoppe. All proceeds to the shoppe - which I read is a not-for-profit organisation :-) ].

I've been to better shows to be honest. There was no rousing sing-along at the end although Murdo Red did his best to get us all roused up, no curtain call either - although they did deserve one. We drank tea, ate cakes and went home - only for me to have to go out to work again in the pouring rain till 11pm !!

The picture is not of the village shoppe by my late Mater and Pater serving in one of the youth hostels they ran for some years. The old codger is typical of some of their clients at that time. Did I tell you about the Christmas we had at Ironbridge youth hostel with them? No, well .........




2 comments:

gz said...

A village show- a good get together and fun whilst the weather permits!

I remember a Tudor-ish banquet at Wilderhope Youth Hostel....

Iain said...

He looks like a cheery chappie, obviously looking forward to an entertaining evening ahead. We're still watching, you know....