Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sheeping - or something like that!

I was proceeding in a northerly direction, minding my own business, looking at the darkening sky and wondering what to make for tea when I spotted Murray getting all togged up outside of his pal's barn. "What you up to Sir" I asked respectfully. It's the sort of thing I've got used to asking in my present line of work with the island's miscreanti.

It seemed that Murray and Murdo, Murray's pal were about to do a bit of sheep hair curling so the little lambs with straighter wool didn't feel out of place. Or was it a bit of dosing of the sheeps? Can't remember rightly but it was one or the other. We all descended into Blind Billy's shed where a contraption was prepared.

I apologise for my vagueness on the events of the day but to be honest I have not much idea what was happening on the other side of my camera lens. They moved or didn't and I shot. Or didn't. That's the way it went. I know it's hardly Ragnar Axelsson [who I might add, has had a wonderful film on BBC about him which is a must to watch] but it is North Tolsta !
 Murray 
 Murdo
 In Blind Billy's shed
Doing something sheep.
Next there was a lot of running about the croft, whistling for the sheeps who obediently came for a look-see and possible feed then disobediently shot off again with Murray chasing behind. I stood and watched, picked up a piece of fence stuff with which I thought I might help then put it down again as the next door crofter's jolly good sheep dog  came along to round up the sheeps [No, not Blind Billy who was still having his mid-morning sleep before his midday sleep.] In no time at all the sheeps were playfully trying to headbutt their way out of the little fank now they had figured something was up.

Then it rained.

Out came the curling tongs and the sheeps relaxed. But this was merely distraction and soon a dose of something which looked horrible and probably tasted horrible was administered.

I ran out of film, out of the croft and into the darkroom. Eh? Ragnar Axelsson, eat your heart out!

1 comment:

gz said...

sounds like a good day!