Friday, April 03, 2009

Rab



Rab is retiring soon. He's having new abode put up just down t'road which is nice and I do hope he and Mrs Rab wll be happy there. Not sure how Rab will be spending his time once his garage has been handed over to the new owners but so far he has suggested; he will emigrate; go long-distance driving; buy and sell cars and save the world with that Obama fellow. Actually, I made the last one up but it should be true. I'd like it to be true. I wish he'd give up his fags too.

I might add that Barrack Obama has seemed to have made a big impression over here in the British Isles. The Queen likes him, so does Gord and the policeman guarding No.10 the day El Presidenti arrived. And I like him too. Well, I like him much better than the other shambles that have been in that position in recent decades anyway. The chap seems civil enough, extremely intelligent and a great speaker. His politics comes from the right sentiments but, and here I differ somewhat, I think he and the other high-level servants of the people [ or do I mean 'corporations' ] have missed a trick. The whole flawed, unsustainable consumer capitalist game has just tried to be re-financed rather than using the opportunity to look at something more sustainable and equitable. Perhaps a re-ordering of the way we look at success or failure away from the hegemony of money towards something more realistic. And have I missed the point but I fail to see how such a meeting and agreement does anything for the major problem facing the world at present - that of climate change. And that even if we ignore the waste of energy used getting all those bodies in from all over the world for a little chat. Have they not heard of video conferencing?
I might add, some of those G2 protesters had a few good points - although I do not condone the violence at all.

Anyway, I wish Rab a very happy retirement. Eh!


BTW: there is a great thread over on Flickr with Islanders from these isles showing there snaps in the stylee of Lewis Hine. Worth a look.
On another note; Filmwasters.com have a podcast interview with me on their site. I have not heard it but bound to be rubbish.

1 comment:

the Filmwasters said...

rubbish my erse :) 172 downloads and it's only been up a week.