Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Well, Mr M or MBT, here's your or rather my answer.

Sir,
I notice from your comment that you have no idea about peats and the like. Well, let me tell you now, it's something that takes years to learn and I'm not the one to tell you. Don't you just go to Peats R Us in Stornoway and buy a stack? No maybe not, that doesn't seem right even to a simpleton like myself.

Ah yes, I seem to recall Mr Murdo Grazings in the village showing me where to cut the stuff. I remember that vaguely because I stubbed my boot on a rock and fell over on the peat track. Oh how I was miserabled up. Even more so when he indicated that I had to cut the stuff myself. Can you imagine? Eh ? Me, in wellies and all.

I notice that Mr Four Tractors does fine rides on the back on his trailer behind one of his tractors - probably the one without brakes - bringing in the peat things. You have to plead infirmity and then he brings his yoof along to load the peats - but don't tell anyone I told you that.

The best thing about the peats is building the stack. We have a few experts in the village for this - but you still have to do your own. The sense of community does not extend that far! Hector is the champ for me - but I couldn't say that in public because it might up-miserable others in the village. There used to be a competition hereabouts for the best stack but that seems to have gone the way of the Commer Van  last seen with it's steering wheel poking out the heather up on the muir. As if...

Burning the peats. Ha, ha. That's a new one on me. You'll be bringing some weed back from that place o'er the water next and telling me to set fire to it when rolled in paper and suck polluted air through it next! Ha Ha. Having said that, I did see an eerie glow and thick smoke over Road to Nowhere where I sometimes stroll with The Barking Dog a while back. Is that what you mean?

Our peats lay where we put them a year or so back after Mr F-T dis-loaded them. Some are in bags - that's the English way. We did have a stack of un-bagged peats but it caused some consternation with the neighbours - maybe it shouldn't look like a mushroom, or maybe they should be covered up on a Sunday - so we didn't repeat it.

Well, blow me down with a half-cocked tractor mounted air pump, they burn! Just tried the stuff in the fire thing. So much smoke mind you that there's a crowd gathered outside. Either they think we are on fire or,,,,, no, lets not go there.

I am exhausted now. Shall have to have a lay down to recover, yet I suppose you want a snap to look at eh? Well, Sir, not before you tell we where Annapolis is; can't find it on the map - not even as far down as Harris - and no-one goes there do they? Or Greenland? Is it there? Will you be in Stornoway for lunchtime?

Anyway, Sir M, here's your rather long-winded answer. You won't ask questions again will you ! Love to B and Toots.


When you arrive in Stornoway with your warble rope hanging off, a electrical wire broked or the engine in need of a tickle, this is the man you'll require. Gerald Hales; Marine Engineer, fiddle scraper and all round nice chap with a Cornish Crabber boat thing :-)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

very informative!