Sunday, December 09, 2012

Something



I awoke early  as usual these days and lay there thinking how one brings 'something other' into a photograph. There's not much 'other' in this snap of the sheeps but why?

The radio this morning played a favourite program of mine. Something Understood on BBC Radio 4 warbled away brightening my mood and further extending my thinking on the 'other' aspect. One of Strauss Four Last songs was played - possibly "Im Abendrot" and something tingled. It's the sort of feeling I get with Mahlers 5th or the Jeff Buckly singing Dido's Lament or even aria Ebben? Ne andro lantana from La Wally and I just wish I could harness that feeling and insert it straight into an image. I can't though - though not for the want of trying.

Recently I have been working away at Rawlins oilprints - living in hope I could develop this process to help produce the feeling I desire in my images. Only that has not proven to be so easy. I have but one print to show for it [and even that does not convey my inner 'other'] - plus a roaring stove fuelled by the rubbish I created in further attempts. Sometimes the gelatin falls off the paper, the gelatin distorts under the application of ink, the image does not appear for some reason and countless other things. Since the process for one print takes probably four days this is a long old learning curve.

I'm still working on it Though I may revert to silver gelatin for the next prints - just to re-assert my confidence in the image. I mean, I can see / feel in my minds eye what I am trying t achieve - and maybe, just maybe one day I'll make that image


No comments: